Saturday, September 02, 2006

09.02.2006

Day One of the Fair.

Last night, Jeesebear and I turned in our photos. Bubba turned in the necklace and earring set she hand-beaded. She did not turn in any of her other artwork. There was a bit of an artistic melt-down. I turned in my knitted hat, mittens, baby crib afghan, hand-beaded stitch markers and hand-beaded bracelet.

Jessebear baked her white yeast bread - she was done by 10 PM, then Boy took over and baked his oatmeal bread. He was done by 2 AM. I started at 4AM and was done with banana bread, zucchini bread and oatmeal bread by 9:30 AM, just in time to get all of our baking entries for Saturday in by the 10 AM deadline. I had to leave my baking powder biscuits at home - they were not quite done baking. I should have gotten up at 3 AM.

Came home, made breakfast for DH, Boy, Bubba and her two friends who slept over last night. Took the spawn to the Fair, crashed for a little while.

The hurricane remnants were blowing through here today. It was supposed to rain all day, which was quite the bummer for the fair. Instead, it was cold and frightfully windy. DH and I took a ride through much of the surrounding countryside, dodging blowing debris and falling branches and trees. We got some free dermabrasion cosmetic treatment with all the sand being whipped around. I won't say it was scary. I will say that it was quite exhilarating. It was, of course, cold and grey in our little mountain town.

Went to the Fair a little later to see if any of us placed. Nothing for the photos, Bubba got 1st for her necklace and earrings, Kyle got 3rd for his oatmeal bread (first time competing in the adult division!), I got 1st for my mittens, 2nd for the baby crib afghan, 2nd for my oatmeal bread, 2nd for my zucchini bread.

The children were delighted to find their friends who run a dairy farm, so they hung with them until well past closing in the dairy barn. they want to be there at 8:30 tomorrow morningso they can see their friends show their calves. That'll be good for me - I can drop off my baking entries for Sunday at the same time.

I'm going to grab some dinner and then try and doze a little while Bubba prepares her apple pie and then her cookies. I'll have to get up at 4 again to bake my entries - and Boy and I will have to arm wrestle for the oven!

1 Comments:

At September 09, 2006 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, this all sounds like heaven!! Way to go on all the placings! I love, love, love zuchinni bread. I would probably eat the entire loaf.

Thats so awesome Cynthia, that your kids have such wonderful cooking skills,and so young..Lots of talent in your family.. :)

any pics from the fair?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home