Sunday, August 06, 2006

08.06.2006

No knitting post here. I've been on the road. We had to leave earlier than planned as a large front was moving in that would have kept us pinned on the east coast for about a week. So we left last Saturday - I had half an hour to pack(!) (can you imagine, packing in half an hour when you thought you had until Tuesday to go to the store, do laundry and pack? Torture!) We had mostly good weather, although we ran into isolated thunderstorms in Pennsylvania and had to wait it out for about two hours under an overpass in the middle of nowhere. It was fun though, there were eight other bikes under the bridge with us.
The rest of the way has been hot and sunny. I have been drinking enough water and powerade to float a small island. And, in spite of constantly applying superstrong sunscreen, I am turning a deeper shade of brown - well, my face and chest and arms. My legs are still pretty pale - cuz you know - you have to ride in jeans.
It is currently 101 degrees where we are - when we pulled into town on Friday, it was 106 degrees. And I miss knitting, sob, sob. And beading - I was longingly watching my brother-in-law making his rosaries yesterday - he was very nice and let me look through his bead boxes.
Soon, we leave the blast furnace for what the natives colorfully call 'hell'. DH should be quite happy.

4 Comments:

At August 06, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Ed said...

didn't read the blog but was interested how you get the moon phase thingy for your blog as I'm keen on all things astronomical. I'll check in a min but your site isn't one of the millions of wyrd knitting blogs is it?

 
At August 10, 2006 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you traveling via motorcycle??? OMG, you are one brave cookie! I would burn to a crisp on the back of one, even with a whole bucket of sunscreen!

You are a packing olympian girl! Wow, a half an hour, it would take me that long to think about what I want to take!

What do ya think about the weather?

 
At August 23, 2006 9:43 PM, Blogger shadowlands said...

Heather!!!!
Yes - on the bike, for sure. I actually did burn a little the first couple of days, even though I was wearing the strongest sunscreen available. Go figure - I never ever burned as a kid.

I know - I had a complete meltdown when I found out we had to leave that quickly. I only forgot a couple of things though - my sewing kit and my flip flops.

The weather has been great - really hot. Dallas killed - well, DH loved it, but I just can't take heat the way I could as a kid.

 
At August 23, 2006 9:59 PM, Blogger shadowlands said...

Ed - you've probably already figureed out that if you click on the moon and then go to past phases you connect to the link you can download the program from. I do not remember where I originally got it from - it was a really long time ago. As far as being another 'wyrd' knitting blog - well, I guess that would depend on how you define weird, wouldn't it????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home