Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday


When I was a teenager, I thought my feet were so ugly, most especially my toes. My mother had size five feet and my grandmother had size five-and-a-half, mine were enormous at size eight. And my mother's feet looked like they came straight off of a greek sculpture - delicate, elegant, slender. I so envied her feet. Well, truth be told, I envied pretty much everything about her - she was like a greek sculpture - she was so very beautiful and elegant and I was so not like her. My older brother used to tell me I was adopted, and I really believed him.

Here's the silly thing, though. One day, when I was thirteen and outside in my grandmother's gardens, I was looking at her sculpture of St. Francis - who I greatly admired (being a catholic school girl, I may have had a bit of a crush on him - I mean - he could talk to animals! How cool is that?). At any rate, I happened to notice that his second toe was longer than his first toe - just like mine! I was so happy that day. I didn't care so much that my other toes were stubby or that my feet were enormous - suddenly with that longer second toe - they didn't look quite so ugly to me. I felt almost pretty. It's funny what small things can take on so much meaning when you are caught up in the throes of being a teenager.

1 Comments:

At April 21, 2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Heather@ Simple Panache said...

Gorgeous feet by the way! And the toe nail polish goes very well with your adorable curtains! :)

For years my daughter hated her feet because of that same toe. She even begged us to get it shortened. OUCH! She has now grown to love it and proudly wears a cute little toe ring on it. Very cute post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home